All comparisons are to the first quarter of fiscal 2014.
- Record dollar sales of $2.4 billion, increased 7 percent; volume up 3 percent.
- Record non-GAAP1 adjusted diluted EPS2 of $0.69, up 21 percent from $0.57 per share, excluding previously announced, nonrecurring charges. Record GAAP diluted EPS of $0.64.
- Total non-GAAP1 adjusted segment operating profit2 increased 18 percent; GAAP total segment operating profit up 10 percent.
- Refrigerated Foods segment operating profit up 19 percent; volume down 3 percent; dollar sales up 1 percent.
- Jennie-O Turkey Store segment operating profit up 56 percent; volume up 9 percent; dollar sales up 10 percent.
- Grocery Products non-GAAP1 adjusted segment operating profit2 down 8 percent (Grocery Products GAAP segment operating profit down 27 percent including nonrecurring charges relating to closure of the Stockton, California, manufacturing facility); volume up 1 percent; dollar sales up 2 percent. Excluding net sales of MegaMex Foods products not included in the prior year, volume down 5 percent and dollar sales down 2 percent.
- Specialty Foods segment operating profit down 13 percent; volume up 17 percent; dollar sales up 34 percent. Excluding incremental sales of CytoSport Holdings, Inc. (“CytoSport”) products, volume down 2 percent and dollar sales up 3 percent.
- International & Other non-GAAP1 adjusted segment operating profit2 up 6 percent (International & Other GAAP segment operating profit down 36 percent including nonrecurring charges related to the exit from international joint venture businesses); volume up 12 percent; dollar sales up 17 percent. Excluding incremental sales of SKIPPY® peanut butter, volume up 7 percent and dollar sales up 12 percent.
Excluding nonrecurring charges, the company reported fiscal 2015 first quarter non-GAAP1 adjusted net earnings2 of $187.3 million, up 22 percent from net earnings of $153.3 million a year earlier. Non-GAAP1 adjusted diluted earnings per share2 for the quarter were $0.69, up 21 percent compared to $0.57 last year.
On a GAAP basis, the company reported fiscal 2015 first quarter net earnings of $171.7 million, up 12 percent from net earnings of $153.3 million a year earlier. Diluted earnings per share for the quarter were $0.64 this year compared to $0.57 per share last year.
Sales for the quarter were $2.4 billion, up 7 percent from the same period in fiscal 2014.
“We are off to an excellent start to our fiscal year with double-digit earnings growth and record sales in the first quarter,” said Jeffrey M. Ettinger, chairman of the board, president and chief executive officer.
“Jennie-O Turkey Store increased operating profit by 56 percent, with strong value-added product sales growth, robust turkey markets, and favorable input costs,” remarked Ettinger.
“Refrigerated Foods also turned in an excellent quarter by driving increased value-added sales, aided by the benefit of lower pork costs. Grocery Products was challenged by high input costs and soft sales on some brands, while International & Other delivered increases despite difficult export markets,” commented Ettinger. “Specialty Foods is focused on driving higher margins in the newly acquired CytoSport business, and going forward we believe the business is well positioned to deliver results in line with our expectations.”
Click here to view the full report.