The Makers of HERDEZ® Brand Offer Five Unexpected Ways to Celebrate National Salsa Month
To celebrate National Salsa Month this May, the makers of HERDEZ® Salsa, the No. 1 selling salsa brand in Mexico and a staple in Mexican kitchens for over 100 years, are providing consumers with unexpected ways to incorporate salsa in every meal. Made from fresh, simple, quality ingredients, this convenient, nutritious condiment represents the heart and soul of Mexican cuisine and provides an easy way to add flavor and spice up any dish—however much heat you can handle.
“Salsa is packed with plant-powered ingredients such as tomatoes, onions and chili peppers,” said Megan Roosevelt, RDN and founder of HealthGroceryGirl.com. “While some may see salsa as simply a dip for chips, what they may not recognize is that salsa is a plant-powered staple which can be used for flavoring meals without excess sugar or calories. Available in mild, medium or hot, HERDEZ® Salsa Casera, for example, contains only 1 gram of sugar per serving and is suitable for any occasion.”
Roosevelt recommends these five innovative ways to enjoy more salsa:
- Use Salsa as a Ketchup Substitute—Ketchup is traditionally loaded with sugar and contains a relatively small amount of tomatoes per serving. Salsa provides a similar tomato experience with more nutrients, more fiber and less sugar. Whether it’s a burger, breakfast eggs, potatoes or more, swap ketchup for salsa. It’s the ultimate healthy condiment!
- Try Salsa in Place of Salad Dressing—A generous pour of salsa is a great alternative to salad dressing. Some store-bought salad dressings can be high in sugar, sodium and calories, yet salsa is a fresh and fun way to flavor a salad! The HERDEZ® brand offers a variety of salsa flavors to keep your salads interesting.
- Salsa Salad Wraps—Bulk up your salsa with beans, avocado and freshly chopped vegetables such as bell peppers for a hearty meal. Add this mixture to large lettuce leaves to make crunchy, plant-powered lettuce wraps.
- Spice up Your Soup with Salsa—Take a bowl of soup from tasty to terrific with a pour of salsa on top! This works great for any soup, from creamy soups to hearty soups like chili and you can make it as spicy as you’d like.
- Salsa-Avo-Bowl—Slice a ripe avocado in half and remove the pit, fill the hole with your favorite salsa and top with a sprinkle of sunflower seeds or hemp seeds and enjoy with a spoon. This snack takes less than a minute to make and is packed with fiber, flavor and nutrition.
“The HERDEZ® brand makes it easy for people to connect with the real flavors of Mexico and brings authentic flavors to everyday, modern dishes,” said Diana DeLoza, senior brand manager of MegaMex Foods. “The HERDEZ® brand’s wide range of salsas and condiments, such as Guacamole Salsa, Salsa Verde, and Salsa Casera, won’t make you feel guilty about eating throughout National Salsa Month and beyond.”
If you’re looking for delicious and nutritious ways to indulge throughout National Salsa Month, the HERDEZ® brand offers more than 20 additional products in its lineup to allow you to add as much flavor and spice as you’d like to any meal. For additional recipes for National Salsa Month, nutritional information and where to buy HERDEZ® products, please visit www.herdeztraditions.com or follow the brand on social media on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.