By now you’ve probably settled into 2023 and have even gotten used to writing the new year on your checks. But you may have also settled back into your old routines and let your eating goals fade into the distance. It’s easy to get off track! Do you know what I do when my nutrition clients are frustrated that they’re not meeting their goals? We make a plan. Once you have a concrete plan in place for how you’re going to achieve your goals, it becomes much easier to reach them—one step at a time.
The great news for you is that Jennie-O and I have teamed up to create Feasting with Frances a Month Long Meal Plan to provide you with ideas for easy, delicious weeknight meals all month-long featuring versatile JENNIE-O® turkey products. We’ve put together 20 balanced and colorful meals that are fun to make and will help you eat more nutritious. Before we get into the recipes, let’s start with some turkey basics:
Do you know what I do when my nutrition clients are frustrated that they’re not meeting their goals? We make a plan.FRANCES LARGEMAN-ROTH, RDN
Turkey is a great low-fat protein source.
One 4-ounce serving of turkey breast provides 21g of protein with 170 calories and 8g of fat. It also provides a wealth of nutrients including Vitamin D, Calcium, Iron and Potassium.
Turkey is versatile!
As you can see from the list of products below, JENNIE-O® turkey comes in so many different cuts and forms, from uncooked ground turkey that makes a juicy burger to flavorful turkey sausage to recipe-ready, oven-roasted turkey breast. Whatever you’re craving, there’s a JENNIE-O® product!
Turkey is easy to cook.
If you’ve ever made a burger with ground beef, you can make a turkey burger. And if you’re used to making bacon for Sunday breakfast, swapping it out for turkey bacon will be a breeze. Turkey is super easy to make, and you can easily use it in your favorite recipes instead of beef or pork.
- Lean and Extra Lean Ground Turkey Cracked Pepper Turkey Breast
- Shredded Slow-Roasted Dark Turkey
- Oven Roasted Turkey Breast
- Turkey Bacon
- Tender Browned Turkey Breast
- Lean Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage
- Turkey Breast Cutlets
- Oven-Roasted, Reduced Sodium Turkey Breast
- Extra Lean Boneless Turkey Breast Tenderloins
Meal Prep Basics
Cooking your own meals each week is a wonderful way to eat more nutritious and also save money. While it can be intimidating to think about planning out every meal and snack, taking a realistic approach to meal planning will help you reach your eating goals. Take a look at your week and figure out how many meals you’ll need to prep for. If you’re only cooking for one, you may just need to cook two meals. Most JENNIE-O® recipes make 4 to 6 servings, but you can always cut the ingredients in half. For most of us, shopping and prepping for 3 to 4 meals per week is a doable amount. Here are some tips for streamlining the process:
1. Pick one day to shop: Depending on your schedule, Sunday might be the easiest day for you, but your prep day could also fall on Saturday or Monday. Choose the recipes you’re going to make and then make a list of ingredients you’ll need to shop for. There are several apps you can use to keep track of your grocery list, and you can also simply keep a list in the Notes app on your smartphone. Then head to the store or place an online order for your food!
2. Make time to prep: Once you’ve got your ingredients, it’s time to prep! Give yourself at least an hour for this. Put on comfy clothes and your favorite tunes and have fun! If you have multiple recipes that include diced onion or celery, double up the amount that you’re dicing and then transfer the prepped ingredient to an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you need to roast any vegetables, see what can be placed in the oven at the same time.
3. Ready to go: Some recipes, like the Five-Minute Mediterranean Salad, can be entirely prepped in advance. This is a great one to make the night before when you know you have a super busy morning the next day. Other recipes will require additional prep before they’re ready to serve. If you’re making something that you plan to bring to work for lunch, make sure you have the appropriately sized containers ready to go.
With the wonderful JENNIE-O® products and recipes and these tips, getting on track with your nutritious eating goals should feel totally approachable and within reach. You can do it! Make sure to follow me on Instagram @FrancesLRothRD, where I’ll be sharing more tips and recipes to help you make 2023 your best year yet!