Chef Christina Machamer, “Hell’s Kitchen” winner, private-chef and certified sommelier; and Laurie March, Los Angeles home expert, TV personality and producer; headlined a Hormel Foods-hosted Instagram Live event on Thursday, May 14. Machamer made mini tostadas using La Victoria® salsa & Herdez® guacamole salsa. Viewers posed questions to them about hosting virtual happy hours and pairing wines, cocktails and mocktails with different dishes live on Instagram.
Chef Christina’s Tostadas
- Canola oil for frying
- 6 CHI-CHI’S® white corn tortillas
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 (16-ounce) package Jennie-O® lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup LaVictoria® salsa, such as LaVictoria® salsa ranchera hot
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic or onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 spring fresh oregano or ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Refried beans, black beans or pinto beans
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded Romaine lettuce or red cabbage slaw
- Diced tomato
- Pickled or fresh red onion
- HERDEZ® guacamole salsa or WHOLLY® Guacamole classic guacamole
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
Pour 2 inches oil into deep heavy skillet. Heat oil to 375°F. Add tortillas one at a time. Do not overcrowd skillet. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to paper towel line plate. Sprinkle with salt.
In large skillet, cook turkey as specified on the package. Always cook to well-done, 165°F as measured by a meat thermometer. Add salsa and spices to turkey. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes or until hot.
Top each tostada with turkey mixture, toppings and Chili Lime Crema.
Chili Lime Crema
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- zest from 1 lime
- cayenne powder or chili powder, to taste
In small bowl, stir together ¼ cup mayonnaise, ¼ cup Mexican crema or sour cream, zest from 1 lime and cayenne powder or chili powder, to taste.
Chef Christina’s Tequila Berry Lemonade
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen berries or mint
- 3/4 cup bottled or fresh lemonade
- 1/4 cup tequila
- Berries, mint and/or lemon slices, for garnish
Add berries or mint to glass jar or Collins glass and muddle slightly. Top with ice. Add lemonade and tequila. Garnish with berries, mint spring and/or fresh lemon slices. Serves 1.