Sandwiches. Nearly half of us eat one every day. And no wonder. They’re fast, versatile–travel well and are a go-to Back to School lunch option for parents. With countless sandwich ingredient combinations to explore, no one should have to suffer from a blah lunch. No matter a person’s taste preferences or dietary restrictions, there’s an ultimate sandwich for everyone.
This back-to-school season, Applegate is battling lunch-making boredom with its “Lunching Awesome” campaign, sharing crave-able sandwich recipes and offering a simple sandwich guide that identifies the key components of a great sandwich.
Despite an endless amount of sandwich possibilities, many people make the same sandwich over and over again. And then, there are those who still haven’t found their ultimate sandwich. According to a recent survey conducted by Applegate:
- 70 percent of parents are looking for new and easy sandwich recipes
- 10 percent of parents say there’s no such thing as a great sandwich
- 15 percent of parents blame their lack of lunch inspiration on not having enough time to make their children’s lunches
“I work at a meat company and still have a hard time making lunch interesting for my two children,” said Nicole Glenn, Applegate vice president of marketing. “Sandwiches can be easy to make, but there are also lots of things that can go wrong. If the bread is soggy, the ingredients too bland, there’s too much mayo…not enough mayo, there’s a chance that sandwich is coming back home uneaten – or worse – going in the trash. For parents finding themselves in a sandwich dilemma, I think Applegate has some pretty good solutions.”
Creating the Ultimate Sandwich in Three Simple Steps:
Step 1: Start with the meat, the heart of any great sandwich, then build around it. Applegate offers deli meat favorites, including natural and organic turkey, ham, chicken and roast beef varieties. All made with no artificial ingredients, no chemical nitrates or nitrites, and meat sourced from Applegate Humanely Raised animals, which are never administered antibiotics.
Step 2: Use bread that stands up to, but doesn’t overwhelm, sandwich fillings.
Step 3: Pile on ingredients from three must-have categories: Crunchy, Creamy, Tangy.
- Crunchy ingredients provide the ever-important texture, the most overlooked building block of a great sandwich. Think: bacon, crunchy vegetables, potato chips, fried onions
- Creamy ingredients offer balance to umami-rich meats. They also, counterintuitively, create a barrier between bread and other fillings and keeps sandwiches from getting soggy. Think: mayo (plain or flavored), avocado, hummus, butter
- Tangy ingredients add brightness and punch to balance out the bread and rich meats and/or cheese. Think: Pickled vegetables, chutneys, mustard, vinegary slaws
For ultimate sandwich recipes and a downloadable coupon offer for APPLEGATE® deli meat or cheese, visit www.applegate.com.