It provides information required under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 and as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020 (collectively, the “CCPA”), the Colorado Privacy Act of 2021 (the “CPA”), the Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act of 2021 (the “VCDPA”), the Utah Consumer Privacy Act of 2022 (the “UCPA”), and the Connecticut Data Privacy Act of 2022 (“CDPA”) and any and all regulations arising therefrom. Some portions of this Supplemental Policy apply only to consumers of particular states, and we have indicated where those portions are state-specific.
If you are unable to review or access this Supplemental Policy due to a disability, you may contact Hormel at email@example.com or 1-833-672-1232 to access this Supplemental Policy in an alternative format.
Definitions Specific to this Supplemental Policy
- “Consumer” means a natural person who resides in California, Colorado, Virginia, Utah and Connecticut and to whom we offer information, goods, or services. For purposes of this Supplemental Policy, this term includes natural persons who reside in California and engage with us as part of business-to-business transactions.
- “Personal Information” means information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular Consumer or household. Personal Information includes “personal data” as that term is defined in the CPA, VCDPA, UCPA, and CDPA. Personal Information also includes “Sensitive Personal Information,” as defined below.
- “Sensitive Personal Information” means Personal Information that reveals a Consumer’s: 1) Social security, driver’s license, state identification card, or passport number; 2) Account log-in, financial account number, debit card number, or credit card number in combination with any required security or access code, password, or credentials allowing access to the individual’s account; 3) Precise geolocation; 4) Racial or ethnic origin; 5) Religious beliefs; 6) Union membership; 7) Contents of email or text messages, unless we are the intended recipient; 8) Genetic data; 9) Biometric information used to uniquely identify the Consumer, and 10) Health, sex life, or sexual orientation. Sensitive Personal Information includes “sensitive data” as that term is defined in the CPA, VCDPA, UCPA, and CDPA.
- “Sell,” “Sale,” or “Sold” means renting, releasing, or transferring an individual’s Personal Information to a Third Party for money or other valuable consideration.
- “Share,” “Shared,” or “Sharing” means transferring an individual’s Personal Information to a Third Party for behavioral advertising purposes, whether or not for money or other valuable consideration.
- “Third Party” means a person or organization which is not a Consumer, Vendor, or an entity owned or controlled by us and as defined by the CCPA, CPA, VCDPA, UCPA, and CDPA.
- “Vendor” means a “service provider,” “contractor,” or “processor” which collects, stores, or otherwise handles data for us, as those terms are defined in the CCPA, CPA, VCDPA, UCPA, and CDPA.
These definitions apply, whether terms are capitalized or not. Other terms used in this Supplemental Policy may be defined under the CCPA, CPA, VCDPA, UCPA, or CDPA, and they shall have the meanings described in those statutes. If there are variations between such definitions in different laws, you will be covered by the definition that applies in your state. For example, if you are a Virginia consumer, terms defined in the VCDPA shall apply to you if they are used in this Supplemental Policy.
The Personal Information We Collect and Disclose
The chart below shows the categories of personal information we may collect; examples of personal information in each category; types of sources from which each category of personal information is collected; the business purposes for which each category of personal information is collected; and the types of Vendors or Third parties with whom that category of personal information is shared. As this chart shows, we may share or sell personal information to Third Parties or disclose certain personal information to Vendors for business purposes.
|Category of Personal Information||Examples||Sources from Which This Personal Information is Collected||Business Purposes for Collection||Types of Vendors or Third Parties with Whom This Personal Information is Shared, Sold or Disclosed|
|Unique Identifiers||Real name, signature, alias, address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, IP address, email address, account name,||
Shared or Sold:
|Contact and Financial Information||Name, address, telephone, email, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information||
Shared or Sold:
|Characteristics of Protected Classifications||Age, marital status||
Shared or Sold:
|Commercial Information||Records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies||
Shared or Sold:
|Internet or Other Electronic Activity||Browsing history, search history, and information regarding a consumer’s interaction with an internet website application, or advertisement||
Shared or Sold:
|Geolocation Data||Device location||
Shared or Sold:
|Inferences Drawn from Other Categories to Create a Profile||Profile reflecting preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes||
Shared or Sold:
Sensitive Personal Information We Collect and Disclose
|Category of Sensitive PersonalInformation||Sources From Which This Sensitive Personal Information is Collected||BusinessPurposes for Collection||Types of Vendors or Third Parties with Whom This Sensitive Personal Information is Shared, Sold or Disclosed|
|Account log-in, financial account, debit card number, plus an access code||
Shared or Sold:
|Racial or Ethnic Origin, Religious Beliefs||
Shared or Sold:
Retention of Data
We intend to retain each category of personal information described above only for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected, or a related and compatible purpose consistent with the average consumer’s expectation, and to comply with applicable laws and regulations. We consider the following criteria when determining how long to retain personal information: why we collected the personal information; the nature of the personal information; the sensitivity of the personal information; our legal obligations related to the personal information, and risks associated with retaining the personal information.
Your Rights to Your Personal Information
California, Colorado, Virginia, Utah, and Connecticut consumers have certain rights with respect to the collection and use of their personal information. Those rights vary by state. As required by the CCPA, we provide detailed information below regarding the data subject rights available to California consumers. Consumers in Colorado, Virginia, Utah, and Connecticut have similar rights and can find more detail by referencing the CPA, VCDPA, UCPA, or CDPA, as applicable.
You have the right to submit requests related to the personal information we have collected about you. You may make such a request twice in a 12-month span. Please note, there are circumstances when we may not be able to comply with your request. For example, we may not be able to verify your request or we may find that providing a full response conflicts with other legal obligations or regulatory requirements. We will notify you if this is the case.
Right to Receive Information on Privacy Practices. You have the right to receive the following information at or before the point of collection:
- The categories of personal information to be collected;
- The purposes for which the categories of personal information are collected or used;
- Whether or not that personal information is sold or shared with Third Parties or disclosed to Vendors;
- If the business collects Sensitive Personal Information, the categories of Sensitive Personal Information to be collected, the purposes for which it is collected or used, and whether that information is sold or shared; and
- The length of time the business intends to retain each category of personal information, or if that is not possible, the criteria used to determine that period.
We have provided such information in this Supplemental Policy, and you may request further information about our privacy practices by using the contact information provided below.
Right to Know and Right to Access. You have the right to request certain information we have collected about you. You have the right to request:
- Specific pieces and categories of personal information we collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which personal information was collected;
- The purposes for which personal information was collected, shared, sold, or processed;
- The categories of personal information we shared, sold or disclosed; and
- The categories of Vendors or Third Parties with whom we shared, sold or disclosed personal information.
If you would like to make a request to know or to access your personal information, you can click here or use the email address or phone number listed under “Instructions to Exercise your Rights Below”. The link will take you to an interactive webform that you can complete and submit to make a request for information that we will then verify.
Right to Delete. You have the right to request that we delete certain personal information that we have collected. If you would like to make a request to delete your personal information, you can click here or use the email address or phone number listed under “Instructions to Exercise your Rights Below”. The link will take you to an interactive webform that you can complete and submit to make a request for information that we will then verify.
Right to Correct. You have a right to request that we correct any inaccurate personal information we may retain about you. If you would like to make a request to correct your personal information, you can click here or use the email address or phone number listed under “Instructions to Exercise your Rights Below”. The link will take you to an interactive webform that you can complete and submit to make a request for information that we will then verify.
Right to Opt-Out of the Sale and Sharing of Your Personal Information. You have the right to opt-out of the sale and sharing of your personal information with Third Parties, and the right to opt out of the processing of personal information for targeted advertising purposes, as defined in the CCPA, CPA, VCDPA, UCPA, and CDPA.
We sell or share personal information, or process personal information for targeted advertising purposes. In the past 12 months, we have sold or shared the categories of consumer personal information as listed in this Supplemental Policy. As a consumer, you have the right to opt-out of the sale and/or sharing of your personal information and of the processing of personal information for the purpose of targeted advertising. To submit an opt-out request, please access the below link or follow the “Instructions to Exercise Your Rights,” below. We do not knowingly sell or share personal information of consumers under 16 years of age.
If you opt-out of the sale of your personal information, we will wait at least 12 months before asking you if we may sell or share your personal information.
You have the right to opt-in to the sale of your personal information after you have opted out. If you would like to opt-in to the sale or sharing of your personal information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 1-833-672-1232. Opting-in is a two-step process in which you will first clearly request to opt-in, and then separately confirm that choice.
Right to Consent to or Limit the Use of Your Sensitive Personal Information. You have the right to consent to the use of your Sensitive Personal information in CO, CT, VA and UT. Separately, you have the right in CA to instruct us to limit the use and disclosure of your Sensitive Personal Information to only that which is necessary to perform the services or provide the goods reasonably expected by an average consumer or for specific business purposes defined by law. However, we do not use Sensitive Personal Information for purposes beyond those authorized by the CCPA, or beyond your consent.
Right to Non-discrimination. You have a right to exercise the above rights, and we will not discriminate against you for exercising these rights. Please note that a legitimate denial of a request to access, delete, or opt-out is not discriminatory, nor is charging a fee for excessive or repetitive requests.
Instructions to Exercise your Rights. If you would like to make any of the data requests listed above, please click the link provided or contact us at 1-833-672-1232 or email@example.com. If you use the telephone number, you will be guided through a process that will allow you to submit a verifiable request, and the level of verification will depend on the request being submitted. If you use the email address, we may email you to request additional information from you to verify your request.
You may designate an authorized agent to exercise your rights under the CCPA on your behalf. Such individual must have power of attorney, or be an authorized agent registered with the relevant Secretary of State.
Right to Appeal. You have the right to appeal our decisions about your data subject requests. If you choose to appeal, your request will move from Operations to our Legal Department for review. If you would like to appeal a decision regarding your data request, please click here, call 1-833-672-1232, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state that your request is an “Appeal,” and describe the date and nature of your original request.
When you submit a request to exercise your data subject rights, we may ask you to provide information that will enable us to verify your identity.
If you designate an authorized agent to exercise your rights on your behalf, we may require that you or the authorized agent do the following:
- Verify your identity with us directly.
- Provide proof of your signed written permission for the authorized agent to submit a request on your behalf.
We may deny a request from an agent purportedly acting on your behalf if we request, and the agent does not submit, proof that he, she, or it has been authorized by you to act on your behalf.
Financial Incentive and Loyalty Programs (For CA and CO Residents)
We may offer sweepstakes, promotions, and discounts on products or services for participating in certain marketing opportunities. The availability of these promotions to you at any given time will vary. If and when we offer such programs, we may ask for your personal information including: your first and last name, email address, phone number, and physical address as a prerequisite to your participation.
The promotions that may be available to you are:
- Email Newsletter. When you subscribe to our email newsletter, we may offer you special savings in the form of digital coupons for free or discounted products and announcements of sweepstakes, contests, and giveaways. In order to receive the newsletter, you must provide certain personal information, including: first and last name, valid email address, date of birth, phone number, and street address. You will also be provided with the option to personalize your inbox by choosing the categories of our products that interest you, your language preference, and desired frequency of emails. To halt delivery, please click “unsubscribe” located at the bottom of any email newsletter.
- Sweepstakes, contests, and giveaways. From time to time, we may offer you the opportunity to participate in various branded sweepstakes, contests, and giveaways that offers prizes including free or discounted products, shopping sprees, and other rewards. The information required to participate in these opportunities may vary but can include: first and last name, valid email address, date of birth, phone number, and street address.
- Physical Coupons. We may offer you opportunities to purchase products from in-store locations where they are offered at discounted rates. The information required to participate in these opportunities may vary but may include: first and last name, valid email address, date of birth, phone number, street address, and zip code.
- Surveys. We may offer you product coupons and/or other incentives if you complete voluntary customer surveys through our websites. These surveys typically do not seek traditional identifying information like names or contact information but may ask for information relating to your shopping preferences and general demographics.
- Co-Branded Marketing Opportunities. From time to time, we may offer you the opportunity to participate in various co-branded opportunities with our marketing and advertising partners. The information required to participate in these opportunities may vary but may include [examples: first and last name, valid email address, date of birth, phone number, and street address]. Please note that our marketing and advertising partners will receive your personal information and may use it for their own business purposes.
- Reviews. We rely on customers to help us improve our services, products, and marketing initiatives. If we solicit your feedback through opportunities to review our products, we may offer you exclusive access and discounted merchandise. In order to review our products, we may require you to provide certain personal information including: first and last name, valid email address, date of birth, phone number, information relating to your shopping preferences, general demographics, and street address.
You may opt-in to the above promotions by visiting the promotion site or navigating through your account with us. You may withdraw from these promotions at any time by contacting us at email@example.com. If you withdraw from a financial incentive program, we will not contact you for at least twelve (12) months before requesting your participation again.
The value we place on personal information collected for these promotions varies, but we estimate it equals the additional spending per promotion participant, compared to individuals for whom we do not have email addresses, shopping history and preferences, or other collected information.
Personal Information of Minors
Our online content is not intended for children or minors under the age of sixteen years. Accordingly, we do not knowingly store information from minors under the age of sixteen years, except as required by applicable law. If you believe that a child has submitted personal information to us, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-833-672-1232 and we will delete the information.
Additional California Privacy Rights
Shine the Light Request. California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our website who are California residents to request information about our disclosure of personal information to other parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com with the subject “Shine the Light Request.”
Changes to Our Supplemental Policy
Hormel reserves the right to amend this Supplemental Policy at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this Supplemental Policy, we will post an updated policy on our website with a new Last Revised date.
If you would like additional information regarding our Supplemental Policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-833-672-1232, or
Hormel Foods Corporation
1 Hormel Place
Austin, MN 55912
Attn: Legal Department
Return to the start of our Supplemental Policy.