It’s time to meal prep more efficiently. Kristina Kuzmič, the inaugural Lunch Whisperer for the Hormel® Natural Choice® brand, shared her favorite recipes using the same ingredients that make tasty meals kids will eat, elevated for an adult palate.
Turkey Rainbow Veggie Sandwich
- 2 slices multigrain bread
- 2 tablespoons herbed cream cheese
- 1/4 cup baby spinach leaves
- 3 slices HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Applewood Smoked Turkey with Garlic & Herb
- 6 cucumber slices
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 4 yellow bell pepper strips
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 4 red bell pepper strips
- 2 tomato slices
- 3 radishes, sliced
- 3 tablespoons shredded red cabbage
Spread bread slices with cream cheese. Top one slice bread with spinach leaves and turkey. Layer remaining ingredients on top of turkey. Top with remaining bread slice.
Make them mini for kids
Cut crusts off bread. Follow recipe above, omitting sprouts, avocado, and radishes. Cut sandwich into quarters and skewer with a toothpick.
Or cut bread into squares with a square cookie cutter. Spread with cream cheese. Layer turkey and vegetables, cutting to fit to make mini square sandwiches.
Kristina is passionate and intentional about making meaningful time with her family, often over food. Whether it’s making an unforgettably flavorful meal for them that didn’t take hours or getting them excited to take part in kitchen preparation, she knows the value of these special moments and the importance of keeping it simple when and where she can. Kristina has countless inspired uses for lunchmeat, for example, and reaches for Hormel® Natural Choice® products to make recipes like these.
- 4 (4-inch) skewers
- 4 mini dill pickles, cut in half
- 4 cubes Swiss cheese
- 4 slices HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Pecanwood Smoked Ham with Sweet Black Pepper
- Honey Mustard Aioli
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Dash cayenne pepper
Alternately thread pickles, cheese, and folded or cut ham slices onto skewers. Drizzle with Honey Mustard Aioli or serve alongside.
Honey Mustard Aioli
In small bowl, combine honey, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, white vinegar and cayenne pepper until smooth.
Ham and Pineapple
- 4 (4-inch) skewers
- 4 slices HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Applewood Smoked Ham, cut up
- 12 chunks fresh pineapple
Alternately thread ham and pineapple onto skewers.
Tortellini Salad 2 Ways
- 1 (9-ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (6-ounce) package HORMEL® NATURAL CHOICE® Applewood Smoked Ham, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Kid Additions:
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Mom Additions
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
Cook pasta according to package instructions. In large bowl whisk together oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Add drained pasta, ham and Parmesan cheese.
Divide pasta salad in half.
Add peas to one half pasta salad. Add sundried tomatoes and spinach to other.