Our Specialty Foods Division delivers health and nutrition products through three strategic pillars: performance nutrition, activity nutrition and recovery nutrition.
- Hormel Foods acquired CytoSport, makers of Muscle Milk® products, in 2014. CytoSport produces a variety of sports nutrition products to meet the nutrition needs of athletes.
- We partner with the Cancer Nutrition Consortium to help people battling cancer and other ailments meet their specific nutritional needs. In 2015, we launched Hormel Vital Cuisine™ high-protein shakes and whey powders and made them available for home delivery. We also added a line of Hormel Vital Cuisine™ meals in 2016.
- Hormel Heath Labs develops products with functional properties to meet specific dietary requirements. For example, we offer a line of Thick & Easy® products to make getting the proper nutrients safer and easier for those who have difficulty swallowing.
- Hormel Health Labs also offers a complete line of products that help deliver nutrients to the elderly. Hormel Health Labs products are available at http://www.homecarenutrition.com.
Natural Product Offerings
We recognize that more and more consumers want minimally processed, preservative-free foods. We are proud to offer a variety of products to meet these needs.
- We developed Hormel® Natural Choice® products by pioneering the use of High-Pressure Processing (HPP) for protein products. This technology retains great taste without the need for preservatives, artificial ingredients, added nitrates or nitrites. With the MegaMex Foods acquisition of Fresherized Foods in 2011, we added Wholly Guacamole® dips to our portfolio of foods prepared using HPP.
- Our SKIPPY® natural peanut butter spreads offer natural non-meat protein options. SKIPPY® natural peanut butter spreads contain no preservatives and no artificial flavors or colors.
- Our Valley Fresh® products offer 100 percent natural chicken and turkey that are low in fat, minimally processed and contain no preservatives or artificial ingredients.
- We introduced two Stagg® brand chili varieties in 2014 that are 100 percent natural. The following year, we launched two Hormel® natural chili varieties.
- In 2016, we introduced five-ounce Hormel®Natural Choice®Pillow Pack® pepperoni and Hormel® taco meats that are made with 100 percent natural ingredients, no artificial preservatives and are minimally processed.
- To offer consumers even more natural and organic options, we acquired the Applegate® brand in 2015 and the Justin’s® brand in 2016.
Many of our products are endorsed by outside organizations for meeting specific nutritional and/or processing standards. Labels associated with these endorsements allow customers to easily identify products that fall under these categories. Some of these products and endorsements include:
- Our Hormel® mini corn dog, a pork and chicken frank surrounded by whole grain batter, is one of several Hormel® products marked with the USDA Child Nutrition seal, which lets food service operators know the product contributes nutrients toward national meal pattern requirements.
- Our Muscle Milk® organic protein powders and shakes, Valley Fresh® organic chicken breast and Justin’s® peanut butter cups carry the USDA Organic seal.
- A variety of our products, including SKIPPY® peanut butter, CHI-CHI’S® tortillas, CHI-CHI’S® salsa, Wholly Guacamole® dips, Thick & Easy® clear instant food and beverage thickener, Muscle Milk® protein bars and Justin’s® maple almond butter have the Orthodox Union seal of approval. This identifies products that are certified as kosher by the Orthodox Union.
- Our Hormel Vital Cuisine™ 100 percent whey protein drink mix, ready-to-drink protein nutrition shakes and ready-to-eat meals carry the Cancer Nutrition Consortium seal of approval.
- All of our Muscle Milk®, Monster Milk®, Cytomax® and CytoSport® branded protein powders qualify for the NSF’s Certified for Sport program.
- Many of our Applegate® products, including organic gluten-free chicken nuggets, organic chicken and apple sausage and organic turkey burgers, carry the Non-GMO Project Verified butterfly seal. Several Justin’s® nut butter products also carry the seal, including classic peanut butter jars, classic almond butter squeeze packs and the honey peanut butter snack pack with banana chips.
- Our canned Valley Fresh® chicken breast with rib meat and Valley Fresh® white and dark chunk chicken in broth are certified by the American Heart Association, identifying these items as meeting the criteria for heart-healthy food.