Most significant milestones in life are celebrated with cake – birthdays, weddings, graduations – and as Hormel Foods is celebrating its 125th anniversary, what better way to celebrate than with a mile-high, decadent peanut butter and chocolate cake?
SKIPPY® peanut butter is the star of this show, although Hormel®Black Label® bacon and SPAM® classic were close contenders. This cake is as easy as it is impressive. Two 8-inch cake layers, cut in half and sandwiched between layers of creamy peanut butter frosting are dressed up with a 3-ingredient ganache. Whether you’re a savvy saveur or a not-so-sure-of-yourself novice, you can still enjoy this simple-to-make recipe.
SKIPPY® Peanut Butter & Chocolate Celebration Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup SKIPPY® creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup hot brewed coffee
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 2 (8-inch) round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, vanilla and SKIPPY® peanut butter until combined. Gradually add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture with electric mixer. Once incorporated, add coffee. Beat until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pans. Bake 40 to 43 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks and cool completely (about 1 hour).
Calories: 376, Protein: 8g, Carbohydrate: 58g, Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 52mg, Sodium: 568mg
SKIPPY® Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup SKIPPY® peanut butter
- ¾ cup softened butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup whipping cream
- ½ cup strong brewed coffee (cooled)
- In large mixing bowl, combine SKIPPY® peanut butter, softened butter, vanilla and kosher salt until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, whipping cream and strong brewed coffee (cooled) alternately, beating with an electric mixer until smooth.
Calories: 482, Protein: 5g, Carbohydrate: 65g, Fat: 24g, Cholesterol: 36mg, Sodium: 234mg
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 (12-ounce) package chocolate morsels
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- In a small saucepan, heat whipping cream until small bubbles appear around edges.
- In a medium bowl, pour hot cream over chocolate morsels. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Whisk in softened butter until smooth. Let stand 10 minutes.
Calories: 187, Protein: 1g, Carbohydrate: 18g, Fat: 14g, Cholesterol: 16mg, Sodium: 21mg
- Once the cakes are completely cooled, cut each in half for layers.
- Spread the SKIPPY® peanut butter frosting evenly amongst the layers as you assemble the cake.
- Frost the top layer and drizzle the chocolate ganache over the entire cake. Enjoy!